What exactly is the term traceostomy?
A temporary opening within the throat is made. The procedure is helpful in breathing of patients as well as to open up alternative airways. This is a common procedure for patients in ICUs or on ventilator support.
Do you know when you require a tracheostomy? This procedure can be performed for many reasons:
1. There is obstruction in breathing. A tracheostomy may be needed for illnesses like laryngeal Edema as well as cancer of the larynx.
2. In the event that a patient isn’t able to remove any respiratory restrictions. The procedure can be used to suction the fluids.
3. It can be beneficial to use oxygen to help patients suffering from respiratory issues such as chronic lung disease.
4. Patients on long-term mechanical ventilation with an endotracheal tube an emergency
5. In order to access the airway for general anesthesia, or for the purpose of providing anesthesia to patients who’ve endured extensive neck surgery.
Most commonly employed tracheostomy procedures:
There are various kinds of tubes to perform this process:
3. Double lumen tubes
4. Tubes fitted with talk valves
5. Tubes made out of metal
You can classify this procedure in three categories: high, middle or low. It’s based on the depth the procedure is inserted into the trachea. 8d7mea1ir5.